transfer and placement

Transfer Students

Transfer students are an important component of the UGF student body. The Registrar’s Office works closely with our Admissions Staff to review transfer credit for incoming students to assist with course placement and degree completion. The information provided here is to act as a guideline to assist incoming transfer students with the transfer process.

An applicant is considered a transfer student if that student has completed one or more terms at another accredited college or university. A completed Admission file must include the following:

  • A completed application for admission
  • Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended prior to application at UGF 

Transfer of Previous Credit

It is the responsibility of the Registrar’s Office to determine whether or not transfer credit is accepted by UGF. Students with baccalaureate degrees from an accredited institution pursuing a second bachelor degree are required to complete the requirements in the major and/or minor only.


Transfer Articulations

The University of Great Falls maintains transfer articulations with various two year colleges in the surrounding areas. It is our hope that these articulations will assist students in the transfer process and take some of the guesswork out of credit transfer. Institutions that we currently have active transfer articulations with are below. Please click on the institution you attend to see a course by course listing of transferability. **Please note that transferability is subject to change due to curriculum and/or catalog changes at either institution.** Official transfer placement is done upon a students acceptance to the University of Great Falls and will be completed from official transcripts only.

Dawson Community College Glendive, MT
Flathead Valley Community College Kalispell, MT

     FVCC Course by Course Articulation 2009-2010

Great Falls College MSU
Great Falls, MT

     Course by Course Articulation 2009-2010

      Core Curriculum
      Business Administration

      Elementary Education

      Secondary Education


Western Wyoming Community College Rock Springs, WY

If you are transferring from an institution not listed here, please contact the Registrar’s Office for information on how to obtain an unofficial transcript evaluation to assist you in planning your degree.

Credit Transfer Policies

The university accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited institutions. Acceptance of transfer credit from institutions lacking regional accreditation is rarely granted and requires approval of the Dean. The university will not accept in transfer:

  • Credit for coursework that is remedial or developmental, usually courses below the 100 level, from any institution.
  • Credit for experiential learning not associated with a formal training program.
  • Credit for coursework in which a student earned a grade below “C”, any grade designation below “P” (Pass), or audit grades.
  • Credit for coursework which is repeated; only the last course taken is eligible for transfer.
  • Challenge course credits from other institutions.
  • Tech Prep courses.

CLEP and AP Credits

The university accepts CLEP credit in accordance with ACE guidelines. Specifically, at present, this policy provides for credit for CLEP scaled scores of fifty or above. In addition, the university accepts Advanced Placement (AP) credit in accordance with the recommendation of The College Board. At present, the policy provides credit for scores of 3 or higher. A chart detailing the specific correlation between CLEP and AP credits and university requirements is available through both the Registrar’s Office and the Student Services Office. Appropriate transcripts must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office in order to obtain credit.

Download CLEP Transfer Chart

Download AP Credit Transfer Chart

In a bachelor degree program the total number of credits which may be applied to university core curriculum is 30 semester credits, 15 semester credits for associate degree program. The total number of credits for subject examinations is 30 semester credits, 15 semester credits for associate degree program. No more than 15 semester credits may be applied to a major, 9 semester credits for a minor. 


The University of Great Falls accepts AP and IB coursework for college credit.  Click here for details.


DSST / Dantes Credits

The DSST program is an extensive series of 37 examinations in college subject areas that are comparable to the final or end-of-course examinations in undergraduate courses. ACE recommends 3 semester hours of credit per test. DANTES funds paper-based DSST testing for eligible Service members and civilian examinees at DANTES Test Centers and at national test centers (University of Great Falls is a national test center) offering the Internet-based (iBT) DSSTs.

The new score scale uses scores ranging from 200 to 500, with the cut score (pass point) set at 400 for all exams. Score reports for candidates provide the scaled score achieved and the corresponding pass/fail status. A transcript of the passing test score(s) must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office in order to receive credit for the passed exam(s).

Download a copy of Dantes Transfer Chart


IB Credit


The University recognizes the rigorous academic nature of the International Baccalaureate program.  Students receiving a score of 4 (Satisfactory) or above on their Higher Level (HL) IB exams or a score of 5 (Good) or above on their Standard Level (SL) IB exams will be awarded credit. Students will receive 4 semester credits for lab based courses and up to 5 semester credits for all other HL exams. 3 semester credits will be awarded for all SL exams. 


Students must submit their official IB transcripts to the University for an Official Evaluation of transfer credit.  The Registrar’s Office, in consultation with the appropriate faculty, will make the final determination as to the amount of transfer credit and the placement of credit which may be granted for directly equivalent UGF courses, core curriculum requirements or general elective credit.  Previously approved courses and applicable UGF credits are available online and in the Registrar’s Office.  Students will be notified upon approval of courses and applicable credit will be added to the student transcript and viewable via ArgoExpress.


A maximum of 30 credits may be earned through completion of IB courses. 


English Completion Requirement

No students may enroll in any 300 or 400 level courses until they have passed ENG 117.

As an exception, transfer students who do not have ENG 117 or its equivalent must enroll in it when they register or, if not available, the next semester it is offered. In the meantime they are not barred from 300 and 400 level courses with one exception: upper division ENG courses (ENG 300-319) which require completion of ENG 117.

The prerequisite of ENG 117 applies only to 300 and 400 level courses. It may be recommended by individual degree programs for 100 and 200 level courses.






 University of Great Falls | 1301 20th Street South, Great Falls, Montana 59405 | 800-856-9544 | Contact