Community Living Directors (CLD’s) are staff who resides on campus in each of the buildings. The CLD’s develop and maintain contact with residents serving as a positive role model for them.
What do CLD’s do?
Staff Supervision and Development
· Provides leadership, supervision, and development for the staff within their area.
· Selects, trains, and supervises the staff in their building(s) (CLA’s).
· Assists in planning and conducts departmental training sessions prior to each semester.
· Provides for each Community Living Assistant’s individual development through periodic performance reviews
· Facilitates on-going team building and staff development opportunities.
· Assists in the development of techniques for evaluating the Community Living Assistant program.
· Responsible for creating an environment which fosters living and learning, outside of the classroom education and support for the academic mission of the University.
· Conducts formal and informal assessments to determine the needs of residents.
· Provides leadership to any lifestyle programs that are housed in their building(s)/areas.
· Responds and counsels students on academic and social issues that come through the Early Warning list.
· Responsible for fostering a sense of community in their building(s).
· Works with the Community Living staff in the development of activities designed to develop connections between residents.
· Uses creative and innovative methods to personally connect to residents.
· Provides informal counseling and referral to individual students.
· Provides counseling support to the Community Living Assistants in working through student problems and concerns.
· Coordinates the department’s response to roommate conflicts and other resident concerns.
· Identifies at-risk students through interactions and following up on Early Warning List.
· Counsels at-risk students about campus resources and/or refers the student to appropriate campus departments or community agencies.
· Responsible for the management and referral of incidents that occur in their building(s).
· Participates in year-round duty rotation to provide support to the residential population.
· Works closely with the Campus Counselor, University Security, and other campus/local resources.
· Maintains awareness of campus and community resources.
Administration and Building Management
· Responsible for the overall administrative operations within their building(s).
· Provides hands-on leadership during the openings and closings of the residence halls.
· Participates in regular building tours and conducting Health and Safety Inspections.
· Coordinates the program budgets for the staff and hall council accounts;
· Manages the occupancy and assignment procedures and records.
· Coordinates damage accountability and billing process.
· Ensures the proper management of keys (student room, common area, and staff/office keys).
· Builds relationships with maintenance, and University Security to assure that physical environment is maintained at optimum levels.
· Responsible for the student discipline process in their building(s).
· Manages student discipline cases (student meetings, delivery and tracking of sanctions, etc.).
Community Living Council Advising
· Responsible for the development of strong student leadership opportunities in their building(s).
· Recruits and actively supporting the formation of Community Living Council.
· Advertises Community Living Council as they work to accomplish their goals.
· Facilitates individual and team development opportunities for the student leaders.